Douglass A. Kreis
Douglass A. Kreis, a partner with the firm, received his B.A. degree from Mercer University – with a Major in Political Science and Minor in English, attending under a four-year academic/athletic scholarship, and his Juris Doctorate from Cumberland School of Law. While in law school, Mr. Kreis earned the distinction as Cumberland’s 1997 National Environmental/Toxic Tort Law Conference Representative (Washington, D.C.). After gaining significant trial advocacy and legal briefing experience through Cumberland’s Trial Advocacy Program/Moot Court Competitions, Mr. Kreis accepted a prestigious internship with future Alabama Supreme Court Justice, Michael Bolin.
Over the past fifteen years, Mr. Kreis has dedicated himself towards seeking justice for clients injured by defective pharmaceutical drugs and medical devices – successfully representing thousands of clients in litigation throughout the country. After initially focusing his efforts on pharmaceutical drug related claims against Wyeth (now Pfizer) (diet drug related valvular heart disease and primary pulmonary hypertension), Bayer (Baycol related rhabdomyolysis), Ephedra Dietary Supplements (Heart Attack & Stroke Litigation); and GlaxoSmithKline’s diabetes drug Avandia, Mr. Kreis expanded his practice to include complex medical device defect claims. Mr. Kreis has successfully pursued failed medical device claims against major manufacturers including: Smith & Nephew (Profix/Genesis knees), Zimmer (Durom hips), Stryker Orthopedics/Howmedica (Trident and Rejuvenate / ABG II hips); Bausch & Lomb (ReNu) and American Medical Systems (AMO) (contact lens solutions); AM2PAT (contaminated heparin syringes); Davol & CR Bard (Kugel hernia mesh) and Transvaginal Mesh manufactured by: Mentor; Johnson & Johnson; American Medical Systems; Bard; Covidien; Coloplast; and other manufactures.
Most recently, Mr. Kreis was appointed by Judge Clay D. Land, of the Middle District of Georgia, as Co-Lead Counsel over the transvaginal mesh related Multi-District Litigation IN RE MENTOR CORP. OBTAPE TRANSOBTURATOR SLING PRODUCTS LIABILITY LITIGATION MDL Docket No. 2004 4:08-MD-2004 (CDL). Within this role, Mr. Kreis has actively litigated a large docket of cases, while assisting law firms around the country with the over-all prosecution of claims against Mentor Worldwide, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson. Mr. Kreis has help other important positions on Plaintiffs’ Executive and Steering Committees including: In re: Stryker Rejuvenate and ABG II Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL Docket No. 2441; and In Re: Biomet M2A Magnum Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL Docket No. 2391.
In addition to his national litigation appointments, Mr. Kreis has also undertaken informal roles as de facto lead counsel in the national litigation including: Stryker Trident ceramic on ceramic hip litigation. There, and, in the face of difficult express federal preemption defenses raised by the manufacturer, Mr. Kreis successfully secured one of only a few favorable opinions, post-Riegel v. Medtronic, defeating express preemption. This proved to be a watershed moment in the Stryker Trident litigation. Along the way, Mr. Kreis has become one of the most knowledgeable attorneys in the country regarding orthopedic related law and science. Mr. Kreis has gained the respect of his colleagues and has been asked to speak at many mass tort seminars and symposiums throughout the country during which he addresses the current status of, and interplay between, science and law in the context of the epidemiology of medical devices; the potential modes of failure (general and specific causation); and the pathology, histology and presentation of related injuries. These speaking engagements include:
National Speaking Engagements:
- HarrisMartin National Conference – Lead Speaker: 3M Combat Earplug and Hearing Loss Litigation (January 30, 2019)
- HarrisMartin National Conference – Lead Speaker: Hernia Mesh Physiomesh and C-Qur (May 24, 2017)
- HarrisMartin National Conference, Charleston, SC – Lead speaker: Stryker Rejuvenate and ABG II and Metal on Metal Hip Science and Litigation Update (December 3, 2014)
- Meningitis Litigation, Dallas, TX (November 28, 2012)
- Defective Hips and Metallosis, Philadelphia, PA (October 5, 2012)
- Biomet Metal on Metal Failures – Hip Litigation Group Presentation, Chicago, IL (July 29, 2012)
- Biomet Hips, The Next Metallosis Epidemic – Hip Litigation Group Presentation, Scottsdale, AZ (February 11, 2012)
- Transvaginal Mesh – Material Defects, Pathology and Histology, Miami, FL (January 25, 2012)
- Dangers of Transvaginal Mesh, Lead Litigation Conference, Amelia Island, FL (October 4, 2011)
- FDA Clearance and Alerts (Transvaginal Mesh), Bard & Ethicon New Jersey Coordination Seminar, Atlantic City, NJ (September 14, 2011)
- DePuy Metal on Metal – Science on ASR/Pinnacle, Lead Litigation Group Seminar, New York, NY (July 13, 2011)
- DePuy Pinnacle Hips, Mechanisms of Failure/Defects, Hip Litigation Group Presentation, Las Vegas, NV (April 13, 2011)
- Depuy ASR Litigation Meets Science, Hip Litigation Group Presentation, Miami Beach, FL (February 7, 2011)
- Detailed Examination of the Defect and Resulting Injuries; Including Preservation of Evidence Issues, The J&J DePuy Hip Recall Litigation Conference, Durham, NC (November 17, 2010)
- Unique Causation and Damages with DePuy ASR, DePuy Hip Recall Litigation, Miami, FL (November 3, 2010)
- Mass Tort Litigation, How to Put a Winning Medical Device Case Together, Gainesville, FL (May 13, 2009)
- Permax, The Next Fen-Phen?, National Litigation Convention Seminar, Miami Beach, FL (June 7, 2007)
National Teleconference Speakerships:
- Emerging Drug & Device Litigation Series: Vaginal Mesh Update (August 16, 2011)
- Zimmer NexGen Knee Implant, Lack of National Registry (March 6, 2011)
National Webinar Speakerships:
- Meshed Up Again – Physiomesh and C-Qur Coated Hernia Mesh Products Increase Risks With No Benefits (December 9, 2016)
- Metal on Metal Hip Science – Modes of Failure, Epidemiology & Damages, at Lexis/Nexis Studios, New York, NY (May 16, 2012)
Today, Mr. Kreis is focused on the following matters: Metal Hip Litigation (DePuy – ASR & Pinnacle, Biomet – Magnum, Wright – Conserv & ProFemur Z, Smith & Nephew – R3 and Stryker/Howmedica – Rejuvinate & AGB II); Metal Knee Litigation (Zimmer NexGen Litigation); and Transvaginal Mesh Litigation (Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon, Bard, Boston Scientific, American Medical Systems, Coloplast, Caldera, and Tyco Healthcare).
Mr. Kreis is admitted to all Florida state courts, the Northern, Middle and Southern District Courts of the United States; the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals; District Court of Colorado; and the Western District of Michigan. Mr. Kreis has also appeared (pro hac vice) and litigated in courts throughout the country including: Alabama, California, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Additionally, Mr. Kreis is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice (Co-Chair of Metal on Metal Hip Litigation), Former President of the First Circuit Trial Lawyers Association and the Escambia-Santa Rosa County Bar Association.